Online casinos in South Africa draw the attention of an increasing number of gamblers each year. If you feel like you want to test the best platforms and succeed in playing, there is certainly a sense in scanning this review. Plus, you are going to learn a lot of valuable details in connection with the industry in the country in general.
Introduction to the South African Online Gambling Landscape
Turning to online casinos as a way to spend free time in a fun way is a popular tendency in South Africa. However, those who want to face safe gambling should pick only licensed platforms.
A per-user revenue is expected to get to 239.60 USD in 2023. As for the annual growth rate figure in connection with online gambling, it is going to be close to 8.20% between 2023 and 2027 which will be considered a record both for users and overall revenue (the data from TechFinancials.co.za). By the way, online gambling is going to serve as a boost for the South African economy in the next few years.
A Brief Overview of Online Gambling History in South Africa
First of all, it was the National Gambling Act of 2004 that prohibited the offering of gambling on the Net and playing the games this way.
2008 was the year marked by the appearance of the National Gambling Amendment Act. Officially, it was an attempt to legalize online gambling in South Africa. However, this amendment still has to be enacted to the fullest as soon as it did not receive enough support.
In August 2010, even online gambling suggested via servers out of South Africa was banned.
However, there was a point associated with a certain hope in the sphere of legalization of online gambling in the country. In 2020, the Phumelela Gaming and Leisure company filed a lawsuit against the Gauteng Gambling Board stating that online gambling must be taxed and well-regulated. The case was dismissed but it was evident that regulation of gambling in South Africa could be considered an issue.
Current Trends in the South African Online Gambling Market
Let’s see what trends are the most evident when it comes to discussing the situation in the South African online gambling market.
- The increasing popularity of live dealer games. Their selection on some platforms is really impressive. The players adore such stuff as soon as they can feel like visiting land-based casinos right from the comfort of their homes.
- A tendency for mobile gambling. It is very convenient to launch the games on mobile devices, and the participants of online casino platforms show more interest in such an opportunity.
- Turning to responsible gambling. The players have received the ability to set limits and take breaks from games. All of this aims at preventing addiction to gambling platforms.
Legal Aspects of Online Gambling in South Africa
It is pretty important to devote some time to studying the basics of the legal situation in online gambling in South Africa. This way, you will know how to pick a reliable platform that will meet your expectations.
A Review of Gambling Laws and Regulations in South Africa
Keep in mind that the minimum legal age allowing to open accounts in South African online casinos is 18 years old.
As for the regulations, it is the National Gambling Board (NGB) that is in charge of what is going on in the gambling industry in the country. This refers both to online and offline gambling activities. However, each of the provinces has its own regulator with autonomy.
All in all, today’s legislation in connection with online gambling in South Africa can be called rather confusing and uncertain. There have not been any significant updates in this area since 2000. However, in September 2022, the opposition party proposed a bill to establish a national system of regulations for online gambling.
Despite all of the problems that are observed in connection with the legislation of online gambling in South Africa, the offshore operators suggest legal services to the clients from South Africa. And, it is hard to imagine prosecuting gamblers because of the inconsistency of online gambling laws in the country.
The Role of Licensing Authorities in South African Online Gambling
Licenses for online gambling in the country are issued by the provincial authorities on a local level. Right now, the Western Cape Gambling and Racing Board is considered to be the most progressive provincial body that is interacting with online gambling brands. This means that those who want to suggest their services to South Africans will have to receive a license from the Western Cape Gambling and Racing Board.
The process of issuing the license is linked to paying a fee and meeting rather strict requirements.
It is hard to underestimate the role of licensing authorities and regulatory bodies as soon as their work is the guarantee of safe and fair gambling experience for potential players.
In-Depth Review of Top Online Casinos in South Africa for 2023
Despite the fact that there are quite a few legal online gambling platforms, it is not that easy to find those that can be called the best for the players. This is why we have decided to cover the basics only about the most satisfying platform. It is called Betway. You will never regret it if you opt for dealing with it.
Betway: A Comprehensive Review
Betway is the online casino platform that will get your gambling experience to an absolutely new level in case you are a skillful player. If you are just starting, you will also find a lot of cool stuff here. By the way, you can always test sports betting (there are plenty of kinds of sports to pick from along with the events).
Betway is a convenient gambling site for those who like to spend their free time with pleasure and joy. You will be able to come across the basic categories of titles here on the platform. Everything can be accessed fast enough which is appreciated by the South African players. Apart from this, your fun will be doubled with the help of claiming a welcome bonus.
You are free to select from such payment options as VISA, MasterCard, Absa bank, SID (instant bank transfers), EFT bank transfers, OTT voucher, and so on.
You will have to start with the sign-up on the site which is going to require you to state such data as mobile phone number, password, full name, email address, and a voucher and a referral code in case you have it. This is the first step to take.
After this, you should devote some time to promoting the passport or South African ID number, and date of birth. Plus, the participants have to mention the source of funds for betting transactions (salary, savings, etc.), language, and pick the welcome offer if they want. Do not forget to agree to the Terms and Conditions, confirm that you are of legal age to participate, and decide whether you want to receive promotional stuff or not. This is the second step of the sign-up. Once you are done with it, you are really close to the very start of actual playing!
It is going to be obligatory to indicate your mobile number and password to be able to log in.
Pros and Cons
Study the table to get an overall idea about the advantages and disadvantages of the Betway platform.The number of slots is not relevant: there are fewer than 300 of them
- There is a nice selection of live casino options
- The players can receive help from the support when it is necessary
- There is a convenient application for Android and iOS owners
- The participants can look through a “How to” section to receive instructions on dealing with the platform
- There is no loyalty program for the participants
- The number of slots is not relevant: there are fewer than 300 of them
If you want to get engaged in worthy titles from the best providers, choose Betway. These are the games to select from:
- Slots (there are such incredible options as Hey Sushi, Gates of Olympus, Lantern Luck, Dynamite Riches, Happiest Christmas Tree, and others);
- Live dealer titles (Grand Roulette, Blackjack Party, Speed Baccarat, Ultimate Texas Hold’em, and so on);
- Aviator, etc.
If you aim at finding a particular game, simply use the search bar.
Bonuses and Promotions
Those who are fond of playing casino titles should know that they can receive a welcome bonus linked to the primary deposit they decide to make. This is an offer worth 100% that may reach R2,000. Here are the conditions of the bonus:
- You need to add at least R5 within 30 days after the sign-up;
- The full bonus should be wagered 30 times;
- If you have selected this reward, you will not have an opportunity to get a Sports welcome offer.
Sports bettors are going to savor a greater selection of rewards compared to casino players.
The members of the platform are welcome to stick to the live chat to get quick assistance. Apart from this, there is a “How to” section that has already been mentioned above.
It is also possible to call or email to be able to receive answers to your questions. Plus, feel free to follow the links on Twitter and Facebook if you want to obtain more relevant info.
Guide to Start Gambling at South African Online Casinos
The actual beginning of a gambling process can seem to be a tough undertaking in case you do not have enough experience. This is why we are eager to present the instructions for your convenience.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Online Gambling in South Africa
Get ready for the biggest adventure of a lifetime! Simply follow the sequence of steps below, and you will not find it difficult to initiate gambling in one of the best online casinos in South Africa.
- Complete the procedure of the sign-up on a gambling site (if you opt for the app, you will have to download and install it first). This normally does not take more than several minutes (but you will also have to spend some time uploading your ID).
- Log in with the help of the data you have already provided. This is going to be a really quick action to deal with. Your password and username/mobile phone number should be more than enough to enter the site.
- Study the accessible payment options and decide which of those you will utilize to make the first deposit. It is a smart idea to choose the method you are familiar with.
- Add some funds to your balance. It is only up to you to determine what sum you are fine about.
- Grab a welcome offer that has been prepared for you. It is going to require you to make the first deposit in most cases. But as soon as you plan to do it anyway, why not receive a gift from the platform then?
- Explore some basic info about the playing option that seems to be exciting to you. This refers to the rules, strategies, features, etc.
- Pick one of the available games and start playing it for real money!
- Enjoy your time, and prepare for the withdrawal of cash as soon as you are done with wagering requirements and there are enough funds on the balance.
Tips for South African Online Gamblers
Despite the fact that practice makes perfect, it is still important to be wise when being involved in online gambling. Feel free to have a glance at these tips to ensure a more productive start to your online casino experience.
- Realize that gambling is based mostly on luck. Treat this activity as a perfect way to diversify your leisure. It is awesome if you manage to win something, but there is no point in being frustrated in case you do not succeed.
- Manage the bankroll. Plan limits for your gambling activities and stick to them. Otherwise, you risk losing a lot of cash and becoming an addict.
- Do not ignore the rules of games and the details of promos. It is vital to make sure you know about the scatters in slots if you plan to play them. Or, you should be well aware of the basics of Baccarat in case you intend to be involved in it. As for the bonuses and promotions, you should study the wagering requirements and their duration (this info is typically given in small letters but it is very important).
- Go only for the recommended online gambling platforms. It is essential to pick a licensed online casino that will promote you with a safe experience.
- Pay enough attention to promos and loyalty programs. They are going to help you face more relevant winnings for sure.
Commonly Asked Questions About South African Online Casinos
No, it isn’t. You will only have to pick a suitable payment option and state the sum you would like to add to your balance.
This depends on the payment option you decide to select. The timeframes are usually indicated right on the gambling platforms (they are approximate though).
Using a live chat can be a nice way to deal with your issues. Besides, there is a sense in exploring the How to sections (FAQ) because they are likely to contain the basic info.
You may be required to enclose your bank statement apart from the ID in some cases.
There is typically a “Forgot password?” link or something like that. It is usually very helpful in such cases.
Closing Thoughts on Online Gambling in South Africa
Despite the fact that the legislation in connection with online gambling in South Africa is rather confusing, the fans of online casino games can still enjoy playing them. There are some worthy platforms offering their services to the clients of South Africa. One of those is Betway. This is a site to pay attention to in case you opt for safe and productive gambling. By the way, it is also important not to ignore the vital tips and stick to the sequence of specific steps to be able to succeed in playing your favorite games.